Having Faces: Being Neighbor

I came to Guatemala with a Graduate Preaching Fellowship in 2004 to learn to be neighbor. I was ordained at the St. Paul Area Synod Assembly in June 2007 as a pastor of the Iglesia Luterana Agustina de Guatemala and commissioned for service by two Synods of the ELCA and the Global Mission Unit of the ELCA. I serve in Guatemala with the ILAG as a missionary and a pastor.

Name:
Location: Guatemala

Friday, March 23, 2007

Lamentations

“Enemies have stretched out their hands over all her precious things; she has even seen the nations invade her sanctuary, those whom you forbade to enter your congregation” Lamentations 1:10.

The women were gathered in the church singing as the rest of the community prepared for the celebration outside. The joy was interrupted by screams, gunfire and death as the army entered the church killing the women in a spray of bullets. Those that did not die by fire arm were piled on top of those already dead inside the church and set on fire. Everyone in the church that day in 1982 died.

“The young and the old are lying on the ground in the streets; my young women and my young men have fallen by the sword; in the day of your anger you have killed them, slaughtering without mercy” Lamentations 2:21.

Outside the church the army placed people inside the kettles of boiling water which had been set up to prepare food for the anniversary celebration.

“You invited my enemies from all around as if for a day of festival; and on the day of the anger of the LORD no one escaped or survived; those whom I bore and reared my enemy has destroyed” Lamentations 2:22.

They rounded up all the young women and girls and shut them inside the school. For two weeks the girls were raped. At the end of the two weeks, the last soldier walked out, locked the door and set fire to the school.

“My eyes will flow without ceasing, without respite, until the LORD from heaven looks down and sees. My eyes cause me grief at the fate of all the young women in my city” Lamentations 3:49-51.

It was market day and the women and children were cautiously buying some food for their families. They were assured that the army was far away, that it was safe to buy today. The bartering of the women was interrupted by gun fire. Many were killed falling with their babies strapped to their backs. Several women were taken and tied up to be kicked and beaten. “Where are the rest? Where are the rest? In the cardamom fields? Tell us!” Eventually they too lost their lives. At least one child was taken, alive, by the army. Twenty five years later he has returned to be reunited with his family, now strangers.

“Judah has gone into exile with suffering and hard servitude; she lives now among the nations, and finds no resting place” Lamentations 1:3.


Fleeing for their lives into the mountains, many died of starvation and disease. The dead were left behind. Crossing a river into Mexico, one young boy got caught under water too long and though alive never reached adulthood. In Mexico more died of starvation and disease in poor refugee camp conditions.

“They cry to their mothers, ‘Where is bread and wine?’ as they faint like the wounded in the streets of the city, as their life is poured out on their mothers’ bosom” Lamentations 2:12.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
I don't know if you remeber me (jessica bakken), but I was in your sisters grade and went to St. Peter Lutheran church also. I currently work at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in St. Paul, a group just visited you last week lead by Pstr Harvey. I had heard that you were in Guatemala through my mom, and when I heard that you were part of ILAG, I had to write and say hi!
I am heading down to Guatemala myself with our youth from Gloria Dei next week for Holy week. Last year was my first year down there and i loved it.
I will be reading your blog to hear how things are going!
God bless!
Jessica
jessica@gloriadeistpaul.org

March 28, 2007 at 2:09:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home