Having Faces: Being Neighbor

I came to Guatemala with a Graduate Preaching Fellowship in 2004 to learn to be neighbor. I was ordained at the St. Paul Area Synod Assembly in June 2007 as a pastor of the Iglesia Luterana Agustina de Guatemala and commissioned for service by two Synods of the ELCA and the Global Mission Unit of the ELCA. I serve in Guatemala with the ILAG as a missionary and a pastor.

Name:
Location: Guatemala

Friday, November 16, 2007

Absence of God

Two weeks ago I went with a delegation to a mountain town in Guatemala called Chichicastenango. It is supposed to be the best place to see a market in Guatemala. It is also a place known for Maximon-- another saint/ God that can curse or bless people upon asking. On the way up the steps of the Catholic church in the town there is an altar to make sacrifices on (incense/ candles), on the top of the steps two elders have incense and speak power words at the entrance. (It felt as if they were cursing us.) Inside the church are altars all along the floor where you can leave flowers, candles or liquor as offerings. The altar area and all once Christian art is covered in black soot and I had to search to find any representation of Christ or even a cross-- the altar did not have a cross. The church was hallow-- vacant. Even the delegation left saying that it was an evil place. I have felt this before in Guatemala but never in a "Christian church"... the guidebook says that the services are only marginally Catholic. If one needed proof that Syncretism (sp) can go too far, they just need to visit here. I left feeling dirty and accosted. While I know that I am Christ's child, I left that church and crossed myself, I prayed as we returned to Guatemala City and I clung to Christ ever so tightly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Audra said...

It sounds like an amazing journey. I hope you can update your blog more often.

Thinking about you!

January 21, 2008 at 10:45:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

I'm not sure if you remember me, but I served as intern pastor at Emmanuel in Tacoma, Washington and attended Seminary with you. We have a wonderful ministry to/with Guatemala at the church where I serve as Senior Pastor. I would very much like to touch base with you to see if we, along with ILAG, can work together in Guatemala. So far, we have been working with a community Northwest of Solola. My email is phil@calvarylc.com. Hopefully, we (Calvary Lutheran Church) can get connected and do some missionary work together.

Praying for you and blessings,
Pastor Phil Nybroten

April 24, 2008 at 5:46:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home